October 2012 Match Reports

27th October

Ewyas Harold 4 - 3 Hinton

After two weeks of no games Hinton travelled out to Ewyas Harold missing several players through injury and absence. Hinton, kicking into the wind in the first half, went 1-0 down after a a missed opportunity to cross the ball into the box resulted in a break away and an easy tap in for the striker. Hinton levelled when Ryan Newton started a move just outside the left hand side of his own box, linking up with a couple players, then running into the Harold box and crossing for Jody Dawe to finish at the far post.

A comedy moment occured not long afterwards when Hinton were awarded a freekick near the half way line. Chris Fox played the ball back towards Jon Hopkins who, thinking he was going to take the free kick, picked the ball up 15 yards outside his box. Callum Ditchfield then picked up a yellow card preventing Harold from shooting into an emtpy net.

Late on in the half Hinton went behind again after the ball was lost in a forward position again and another break away gave the Harold striker yet another simple tap in.

Harold started the second half the brighter side and extended the deficit to 2 goals when a ball over the centre backs was held up in the wind which caught out the onrushing keeper, Hopkins, and the striker finished past him. Hinton refused to lie down and came back with some good work down the right hand side when a cross from Dawe saw Richard Legdon flick the ball between his legs and tuck it in off the far post. Hinton then drew level when Dawe bent a superb freekick into the left stantion after placing the kick on the right corner of the box.

Unfortunately, Hinton's players, two of which started the game with niggling injuries due to lack of players, started to look tired and were caught out once again giving the ball away on the half way line. The Harold winger broke at pace and managed to get a ball into the box which was scrambled over the line to give Ewyas Harold all 3 points

Man of the Match: Ryan Newton

Side: Jon Hopkins, Chris Fox, Steve Cuss, Callum Ditchfield, Ryan Newton, Richard Legdon, Shane Cuss, Lewis Davies, Jon Davies, Rod Haslam, Jody Dawe


6th October 

Hinton 1 v 2 Sinkums

Hinton were knocked out of the prestigious HFA County Challenge Cup by Sinkums who scored a late winner to bury the home side. Hinton, once again, started poorly and conceded a goal within the first few minutes of the game when a free kick from the left hand side of the Hinton penalty box was floated straight into the top corner by Damian Gallimore. Sinkums looked the more likely to score throughout the first half and were unlucky not to extend their lead when Zak Turner went through but could only find the post.

Hinton came back at Sinkums in the last 15 minutes of the half and their hard work looked to have been rewarded when a Callum Ditchfield cross was handled by a Sinkums defender in the box and a penalty awarded. Unfortunately for the home side, Jody Dawe scuffed the penalty and the Sinkum's keeper was able to make a comfortable save.

Hinton looked the brighter side for the whole of the second half and when Brad Matthews fired in a shot from a tight angle which smashed of the Sinkum's crossbar and was then followed up by Pete Myles to equalise, there only looked to be one team who was going to win the game. The home side had a chance to win the game when Myles went through on goal with just 5 minutes remaining but a good tackle prevented him from scoring. He then crossed for Jon Davies who couldn't quite get on the end of the shot.

Sinkums then punished Hinton's inability to score by creating a good opportunity down the right hand side of the box and a cross which was not dealt with was bundled into the back of the net with just 1 minute remaining.

Man of the Match: Jody Dawe 

Side: Jon Hopkins, Callum Ditchfield, Mike Marsden, Steve Cuss, Matt Myles, Richard Legdon, Shane Cusss, Darren Birch, Jody Dawe, Pete Myles, Brad Matthews, Jon Davies, Ryan Newton